Disclosure: I just signed up for the American Express Business Platinum Card because of the generous sign-up bonuses.
This is one of the highest sign-up bonuses in Canada. Gives you 75,000 Membership Reward Points for spending the minimum $5,000 in 3 months.
These points can be transferred to these programs at the following ratios:
- Air Canada Aeroplan at a 1 to 1 ratio
- British Airways Avios at a 1 to 1 ratio
- Cathay Pacific’s Asia Miles at a 1 to 0.75 a ratio
- Alitalia’s MilleMiglia Miles at a 1 to a 0.75 ratio
- Delta’s Skymiles at a 1 to 0.75 ratio
- Etihad Guest Miles at a 1 to 0.75 ratio
It charges $399 for an annual fee. The bonus points that you earn is worth a minimum of $800 towards travel or some travel program.
Here are some additional features:
- Earn 1.25 Membership Rewards® points for every $1 in eligible purchases charged to your Card.
- Interest-Free Days. Maximize your cash flow with up to 55 interest-free days.
- Expense Management Reports. Quarterly and annual reporting that makes record keeping, expense tracking and tax preparation easier.
- Access to over 850 lounges around the world
- Extras at over 825 world-class properties in the Fine Hotels & Resorts Program
- There is an easy, convenient way to get more out of your Membership Rewards® points – simply charge an eligible purchase to your Card. Then you can pay for it with points by redeeming points for a statement credit.
The main benefit of this card is the huge 25,000 Membership Reward points bonus that you get when you refer someone or yourself to another card in the American Express rewards family.
Here is the combo to get:
- Get this card and meet minimum spending to earn 75,000 points.
- Refer yourself or someone to the Business Gold (No Annual Fee) and earn 40,000 bonus points + 25,000 referral for this referral.
- Refer to the Personal Platinum card and earn 60,000 bonus points + 25,000 referral for this referral.
This is a total 225,000 Membership reward points that you would earn!
Not only that but if you referred your partner or friends and you can see how the points can really add up!
Here are the premium benefits with this card:
- Platinum Lounge Benefit Get complimentary access to Plaza Premium Lounges and Servisair Executive Lounges regardless of the type of fare purchased or the airline booked. Lounge access is complimentary for you, your spouse and two children under the age of 21 or one travelling companion.
- Airport Club Program Enjoy complimentary access to the Delta Sky Club® lounges.
- Free Starwood Gold Preferred Guest Gold Membership/Marriott Gold Membersip: Usually reserved for guests with a recorded minimum of 10 stays or 25 room nights in a calendar year, the Gold Preferred Membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest® program is yours with no minimum requirements to fulfill. This membership provides you with a 50% bonus (three Starpoints®) for every eligible dollar spent, no blackout dates on award stays and complimentary upgrades to a preferred room at check-in, when available.
- Fairmont President’s Club Charge 5 nights to your Business Platinum Card, and get the many privileges of Fairmont President’s Club Platinum Membership usually reserved for guests with a recorded stay of 30 nights. Benefits include $100 in Fairmont dining certificates, one complimentary night and two room upgrades.
- Fine Hotels and Resorts Program Enjoy exceptional amenities around the globe with access to more than 700 properties thought the Fine Hotels & Resorts Program. Special extras may include upgrade to a higher room category at check-in (based on availability), daily continental breakfast for two and a guaranteed 4.00 p.m. check-out upon request. These amenities have been valued at over $450 USD based on a 1-night stay.
- Platinum Concierge Wherever and whenever in the world you need assistance, there’s always someone in your corner of the globe with the Business Platinum Concierge service. Trained service professionals can help you organize meetings or conference details while traveling, book hotels and flights and get you preferred access and recommendations to some of the most distinguished restaurants at home and abroad with the Fine Dining Program. And when it’s time for pleasure, get access to advance and reserved tickets to some of the hottest concerts, theatre productions and special events across Canada with Front Of The Line.
- International Airline Program Simply purchase an eligible ticket in first class or business class on a participating airline with your Business Platinum Card and you are eligible to receive a companion ticket. Or, when travelling alone enjoy complimentary upgrades as well as savings with special discount fares (offer excludes service charges, taxes, and fuel surcharges). To take advantage of the International Airline Program, booking must be made through Platinum Card Travel Service.
- Car Services Wherever business takes you, trust your Business Platinum Card to help get you there in comfort and style. Receive a membership in Hertz #1 Club Gold which provides access to preferred car rental courtesies at over 590 worldwide locations. Membership includes a complimentary One Car Class Upgrade (subject to availability).
Literally, anyone can have a sole proprietorship which would qualify you for the business card.
Here are some of the free insurance benefits included:
- Complimentary Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance Save money when travelling with the Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance included on your Business Platinum Card. Where allowed by law, you will be automatically covered for damage or theft of your rental car with an MSRP of up to $85,000. To take advantage of this protection, simply decline the Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) or similar option offered by the car rental company, and fully charge your rental to your Business Platinum Card. There’s no additional charge for this coverage, and you save yourself the daily insurance fee (usually $16 to $23 per day) charged by the car rental company.
- Trip Interruption Insurance When you fully charge your travel arrangements to your Business Platinum Card this coverage provides for the non-refundable unused portion of your prepaid travel arrangements, as well as transportation up to $1,500 per trip per insured person up to a maximum of $6,000 for all insured persons combined should your trip be interrupted or delayed for a covered reason.
- Trip Cancellation Insurance When you fully charge your travel arrangements to your Business Platinum Card this coverage provides for the reimbursement of the non-refundable pre-paid travel arrangements, up to $1,500 per insured person to a maximum coverage up to $3,000 for all insured persons combined when you cancel a trip for a covered reason.
- Baggage Delay Insurance Book a flight with your Business Platinum Card and receive up to $1,000 coverage (aggregate maximum with Flight Delay Insurance) for all immediate daily reasonable and necessary emergency purchases, made within four days, for essential clothing and sundry items when your baggage on your outbound trip is delayed by six or more hours.
- Flight Delay Insurance Charge your airline ticket to your Business Platinum Card and receive up to $1,000 coverage (aggregate maximum with Baggage Delay Insurance) for all necessary and reasonable hotel, motel, restaurant expenses and sundry items purchased within 48 hours when you are delayed or denied boarding for four hours or more and no alternate transportation is made available.
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance When you fully charge your airline tickets to your Business Platinum Card, you are covered for loss or damage to your checked-in or carry-on baggage and personal effects while in transit for up to a maximum of $1,000 per trip for all insured person(s) combined.
- Hotel / Motel Burglary Insurance Automatic coverage of up to $1,000 against the loss of most personal items (excluding cash) if your hotel or motel room is burglarized. Coverage is in effect as long as you have fully booked and paid for your accommodations with your Business Platinum Card.
- $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance Up to $500,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance covers you, your spouse and dependent children under the age of 23 when any of you travel on a common carrier (plane, train, bus or ship) and charge your tickets to your Business Platinum Card. Supplementary Cardmembers, their spouses and dependent children under age 23 are also covered.
- Travel Emergency Assistance AXA provides out-of-town emergency medical referrals and organizes medical visits at clinics, ERs or hospitals, according to the client’s condition. If necessary, AXA can also organize repatriation by commercial flight or evacuation by air ambulance. Legal referrals, and important travel-specific information (such as visa requirements or customs and inoculation regulations) as well as travel assistance services (pre-trip information, lost baggage assistance) are also available by telephone, 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week.
Personally, I find this card to be a great steal based on the referral bonuses and free premium statuses included.
Let me know if you have any questions on the referral process.