Virgin Australia (VA) will be officially added to Aeroplan’s growing roster of airline travel partners as of January 19th.
While the COVID-19 pandemic has created many challenges for travel, particularly in the form of border restrictions and route reductions, this new partnership positions Air Canada Aeroplan to be at the ready for the recovery. Trans-Pacific travel between Australia and Canada is an important market, with Air Canada having served three destinations pre-pandemic directly from Vancouver: Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane.
This new partnership enables Aeroplan members to look forward to the return to travel “down under,” with the added ability to earn and redeem Aeroplan points for travel to all of the prominent Australian and South Pacific destinations now accessible via Virgin Australia.
For convenience, please find below the Aeroplan accrual chart for flights operated by Virgin Australia. Note that:
- Members can earn Aeroplan points based on distance flown on all scheduled flights operated by VA.
- For VA flights wholly within Australia, members can earn Status Qualifying Miles (SQM) and Status Qualifying Segments (SQS), as well as Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD) for VA domestic flights ticketed by Air Canada.
In terms of Aeroplan Flight Rewards on Virgin Australia flights, please note the following:
- VA flights will be priced based on Aeroplan’s pricing for partner airlines.
- Members will be able to book VA flights online at aircanada.com, as well as via our Contact Centre.
- VA flights can be combined with flights operated by Air Canada and our other international airline partners.
- The partner booking fee will apply for flight rewards which include travel on VA.