American Express Canada has come out and produced some of richest offers in their history for their Aeroplan branded cards.
Get up to 150,000 Aeroplan points with the American Express®* Aeroplan® Reserve Card.
- Earn up to 70,000 Aeroplan points after spending $6,000 in purchases within the first six months of Cardmembership.
- Plus, you can also earn 5,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in purchases on your Card for the first six months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 30,000 Aeroplan points.
- Plus, earn a total of 10X the points on all eligible eats and drinks purchases in Canada for the first six months of Cardmembership, up to a maximum of 50,000 points.
In all cases above “Eats & Drinks” follows American Express’ standard definition for this category, including restaurants, food delivery and grocery in Canada.
Just transferring your grocery spending to this card should let you achieve the top bonus of 150,000 total Aeroplan points.
This is very achievable as their definition is quite wide for eats and drinks.
Here is a good summary or factsheet of all their Aeroplan offers:
Here are some additional Features or benefits of the cards:
At the airport– Eligible American Express Aeroplan Cardmembers get multiple benefits when they travel with Air Canada, including their first checked bags for free, Maple Leaf Lounge access, priority boarding and other benefits at the airport. Plus, their companions traveling on the same reservation and their eligible Additional Cardmembers can also take advantage of these benefits.
Status– Eligible American Express Aeroplan Cardmembers can help members reach and maintain status more easily. Members can earn Status Qualifying Miles and Status Qualifying Segments just by spending on their eligible American Express Aeroplan Cards. Plus, Elite Status Members can tap into new benefits like rollover eUpgrade credits, and clear upgrades with priority at the airport.
Faster earn – Earn Aeroplan points everywhere you pay with your American Express Aeroplan Card, including extra points in popular categories such as: dining and food delivery. And earn even more with the American Express®* Aeroplan® Reserve Card which has the highest rate of earn with Air Canada at 3 Aeroplan points per $1 spent on the Card, plus a minimum of 1.25 Aeroplan points per $1 spent.
The Reserve card is my favourite of the bunch due to the heavy benefits like the Free Checked Bag and Lounge Access and Potential upgrades.
The card comes with an annual fee of $599 but keep in mind that American Express has offers constantly (like the Shop Small event that will give you $50 in credits and they have these throughout the year to help reduce the sting of the annual fee.
The way I look at it is that the fee is great for 1 year but you can then do the analysis to see if the annual benefits are worth the cost of the annual fee. For the first year getting the bonus and the benefits outweighs the cost for me (since I plan to travel at least twice the next year and should save with the free luggage for me and my family as opposed to paying $25 each leg).
If you against the high annual fee, their regular or code American Express Aeroplan card also has an offer to get up to 75,000 Aeroplan points with the American Express Aeroplan card.
- Earn 44,000 Aeroplan points after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first six months of Cardmembership.
- Plus, you can also earn 1,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first six months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 6,000 Aeroplan points.
- Plus, earn a total of 5X the points on all eligible eats and drinks purchases in Canada for the first six months of Cardmembership, up to a maximum of 25,000 points.
It also has an annual fee but it is only $120 – which is a good deal for all those points but if you do the math the value you get from the Reserve card is incredible.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment in the post!